Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Beastly

I watched Beastly recently and I was surprised by how good it was. It was a fantastic, updated, retelling of a classic story. I haven't read the book it's based on, but my friend loved the book and when we talked about it, she said it sounded like they were very close to the same story, which is good. The acting in the movie was well done. You feel Kyle's pain and understand his transformation. Alex Pettyfer was the perfect choice for the beastly role: pretty, but with some depth. And Vanessa Hudgens makes a sweet and soulful beauty, Lindy. I always love Neil Patrick Harris and he's fantastic as Kyle's blind tutor Will, hired by Kyle's father so that no one will see the horror he's become. And the housekeeper Zola, played by Lisa Gay Hamilton, is wonderful at making Kyle see that life goes on, whether you want it to or not. And that you need to truly see the person you think you love and not just expect them to live up to your expectations. I also loved that it showed that you can't go through life alone, you need the help and support of your family, be they chosen by blood or mutual affection. I've always loved the Tale of Beauty and the Beast and find this new addition to be most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment