Pages

Friday, January 14, 2022

Knitting Fun

Nostepinne

I absolutely love knitting. From sweaters and socks to hats and even doilies, I've knit it all. It's my favorite way to relax and keep stress levels down, especially in the last few years. 

I also love learning about old knitting techniques and tools. Patterns from the early 20th century are always an adventure, but so much fun to try. And the tools that were used in the past are making a comeback for their usefulness, beauty, and simplicity. One of those tools is the nostepinne. 

The nostepinne, which means "nest-stick" in Scandinavian, is the original yarn winder. It needs no batteries and you don't have to plug it in, so it's very portable. Its also the easiest way to wind a center-pull yarn ball. While they can be as simple as a tapered dowel, most feature some decoration. My sister turned this one on the lathe for me for Christmas. It's my new favorite yarn tool. If you need me, I'll be winding all my yarn into balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment