Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Happy Birthday, Maurice Sendak!

Google
When I was a kid, I loved reading Where the Wild Things Are. It was one of my favorite books. I loved Max and how he imagined a new life for himself, just because he was angry, and I loved that in the end, he went home to his supper and all was well. I didn't read In the Night Kitchen until later, and although many find it controversial due to a bit of nudity, I really enjoyed the story.

Sendak truly loved classical music and developed several productions of operas and ballets for stage and screen. He often designed sets and costumes as well as occasionally writing librettos. One of my favorite productions was Sendak's version of Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker. He worked in conjunction with the Pacific Northwest Ballet and created wonderful sets and fanciful costumes. It is my favorite production of The Nutcracker, mostly for the beautiful designs by Maurice Sendak.

Today would have been Maurice Sendak's 85th birthday. In honor of his birthday, Google has created a wonderful doodle of some of his most popular works. Maurice Sendak passed away last year at the age of 83.

“But the wild things cried, “Oh please don’t go - we’ll eat you up - we love you so!”
And Max said, “No!”
The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws but Max stepped into his private boat and waved goodbye.” - Where the Wild Things Are

No comments:

Post a Comment