Disney kicked off their fifth annual Magic of Storytelling recently. This year, they will donate up to one million books to First Book, a nonprofit that gives new books to teachers and low-income families, between now and March 31. A commercial voiced by Emma Watson, who stars as bookworm Belle in the upcoming Beauty and the Beast, launched the campaign.
The Magic of Storytelling strives to inspire imaginations, encourage a lifelong love of reading, and bring books to underserved communities across America. Families are encouraged to read together during the second annual Disney Reads Day on February 4. Families can read at he or visit a participating Disney Store or Barnes and Noble for story-time, activities, and giveaways.
Disney will donate one book for each of the following actions:
- One for One Book Donation - purchase an eligible book from the Disney Store or other participating retailers.
- Share a Shelfie - take a "shelfie", a selfie with a favorite book or in front of a bookshelf, using the hashtag #MagicOfStorytelling on Instagram or Twitter
- Disney Story Central - download digital books designed for parents and kids to read together. Disney will donate a book for every book read in the app
- Magic of Storytelling Sweepstakes - enter to win 400 books for your school and a personal library, too.
- Celebrate Disney Reads Day on February 4 - enjoy free family-friendly events: storytime, coloring, activities, and themed "shelfie" stations
- For more information, visit magicofstorytelling.com
In addition to the donations, Disney has created resources for schools to encourage reading in class and at home. They include lesson plans, reading activities, and more.