Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Sherlock POPVinyls

Funko

I've always been a fan of murder mysteries and recently, have even gotten Bean hooked on them. I grew up completely addicted to Masterpiece Mystery on PBS. I loved Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, or really any Agatha Christie, but I also loved Sherlock Holmes. When I was a kid, Jeremy Brett played the title role on PBS. He was brilliant, and frightening, and in short, amazing in the way that he portrayed Sherlock Holmes. It was his performance that led me to read the complete Sherlock Holmes collection as a young adult. Later, I discovered old Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone at the helm. And you can't leave out Disney's animated version, The Great Mouse Detective. I even enjoyed the futuristic cartoon Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, though it was sadly short lived.

Nowadays, there are several Sherlocks to choose from. Robert Downey, Jr did an incredible job of bringing humor to the role. Jonny Lee Miller gives us not only a Holmes who solves American crimes, but also a female Dr. Watson. (Have you noticed how she always seems to dress in black and white with occasional greys. I'm sure its some commentary on her intellectual relationship with Sherlock.)

Entertainment Earth
Lastly, we've come to my current favorite Sherlock: the BBC version with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. It may take place in modern times, but it seems to stay fairly close to the feel of the original stories. The only sad part is that they make just three episodes per year. (My favorite is John and Mary's wedding from last season.) However, Funko's new POPVinyl collection may help ease the wait. This set of six figures features two Sherlocks (one in gloves and the other playing the violin), Dr. John Watson, Mycroft Holmes, Moriarty, and Irene Adler. An additional Moriarty wearing the crown jewels will also be available. Unfortunately, they won't arrive in stores until sometime in October, but since I absolutely adore Sherlock Holmes, in almost any incarnation, I'll be sure to add these to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment