Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Star Wars, a continuing tradition

For as long as I can remember, I've had this annual tradition regarding the Star Wars movies. I would go visit my Grandma and watch all three films back to back. I've always loved these movies. One year, Grandma's TV died while I was watching Star Wars: A New Hope. All it would do was play the sound, with no picture. Grandma knew that I loved watching these films every summer, so she and Grandpa went to the store and picked up a new TV. (My Grandma is wonderful like that!) This was an amazing thing to me and made quite an impression.One year, we played the Star Wars album for our Fourth of July party. It was so loud that you couldn't go in the house, but it was awesome.

When the films returned to the theaters, with some new special effects, I drove 30 miles just to see them in a theater with proper surround sound and I have to say, it was awesome. When the first of the new movies came out, I was working at a book, music, and video store. We had a costume contest and three of the employees dressed up to judge the contest, myself included. I hadn't even seen the movie yet, so I found a paper doll book and watched all of the commercials to try and recreate Amidala's dress from the end of the movie. (Yes, the white one with the tall collar.) It was awesome, if I do say so myself. I was so excited to see the Phantom Menace and was already looking forward to the next two films. They released kids meal toys at three different restaurants, for a ridiculous total number of toys. I collected most of them I'm sad to say. I purchased the rerelease of 4, 5, and 6 on VHS as soon as they came out. It wasn't too many years before I replaced them with DVDs and purchased 1, 2, and 3 as well. I love these films.

When they offered more kids meal toys a few years ago, I not only collected them for myself, but I got three-year-old Bean addicted to them as well. She loved her little Jawa with the light-up eyes! They have created new sets nearly every year, and my niece and I love them. She is a huge fan of Star Tours at Disney World, which I adore, because we can ride it over and over and still love it. We can't wait to test out the remagiced ride! I recently got her to watch A New Hope. She wasn't too sure what to think at first, but once she realized what it was, she loved it too.

Well, it's summer again, so it was time to haul out my films and start the marathon. I watched A New Hope yesterday and The Empire Strikes Back today. I plan to watch Return of the Jedi tomorrow and then will start on the first three. I may end up watching the entire series in order again, who knows.

Watching the Star Wars films is quite possibly my favorite summer tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment