Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Harambe Market

I was very excited to eat at the Harambe Market on my most recent trip to Animal Kingdom. The Market, which is located in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom, opened on May 23. Featuring entirely new dishes inspired by African cuisine, the Market has four separate windows for ordering. The Kitamu Grill has chicken skewers and beef kabobs. Famous Sausages has a unique take on the corndog: curried batter around a boerewors sausage. Chef Mwanga's Rib Shop specializes in spice rubbed Karubi ribs. Finally, Wanjohi Refreshments serves a wide variety of beverages, both nonalcoholic and alcoholic. While each window features a limited menu, you can actually order all of the food from any window except Wanjohi Refreshments. (Be sure you ask a cast member for a menu so you know what is available.) I was really glad that you could order everything together because we were considering items from all three areas. Each window has a different kids meal; each includes two sides: carrots, apples, broccoli, or a cookie, and either low-fat milk or water. Beverages are also available at the food windows, and include Gold Peak Tea, Bottled Water, Hot Cocoa, and a variety if Coke products, including Bibo and Sparberry, which are popular in Africa, but have previously only been available in EPCOT's Club Cool. Bibo is fruity and Sparberry is a raspberry cream soda. Several African wines and beers are also available, as well as a specialty cocktail called the Starr of Harambe at Wanjohi Refreshments. And don't forget dessert: the African Milk Tart features a chocolate tart shell sprinkled with sugar and five spice powder, topped with coconut custard and dark chocolate ganache drizzle.


In the end, we ordered the All Natural Grilled Chicken Skewer with Roasted Broccoli & Tomato Salad, the kid's Grilled Chicken Skewer, and the kid's Corndog. We also tried the African Milk Tart. 


My dad really enjoyed the Chicken Skewer and salad, which he taught was well seasoned. 


I had the kid's Chicken Skewer, both because it came with barbecue sauce instead of spices and because I could choose my side's, and I thought it was very good. 



Bean had the kid's Corndog, which she really liked, even without her usual ketchup. (I tried a little of the Corndog and loved the curried batter. It really adds a lot to an otherwise simple dish.) My dad and I both liked the African Milk Tart, which isn't overly sweet, but very flavorful.


There is quite a bit of outdoor seating in the area, much of which is under covers or umbrellas, but it can get crowded, so we shared our table with another family. In all, I really enjoyed this new location, and with my usual favorite Flame Tree Barbecue closed for refurbishment, I was glad that the food at Harambe Market more than made up for it. And the prices are very reasonable: $9 - $13 for adult meals and $5.50 - $7.50 for kids. I will definitely plan a visit to Harambe Market during my next trip, and you should, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment