Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Target
The final film in the Hobbit trilogy arrives on Blu-Ray and DVD today. There are a few different options available, but personally, I'm going to buy the Target version. What can I say, I really love the Legos! This set includes Bard the Bowman and his son, Bain. (I got the Legolas set when I bought The Desolation of Smaug, so I need these to go with it.)

I had the chance to see this movie in the theater, and I absolutely loved it. Just be sure to have a big stack of tissues on hand before you watch it, because you're going to need them. I knew what to expect, having read the book years ago and watched the cartoon many times as a child, and yet I still cried for the last 30 minutes or so. (And that was after Bean and I had watched the cartoon so she'd know what to expect!) Caution: Spoilers Ahead!

As I'm sure you've guessed, the story begins with the destruction of Smaug. I must admit that I felt the previous movie should have ended with the death of the greedy fire drake, but the story moves along quite swiftly after his demise. This story has many characters working toward their own goals, and then coming together as these goals collide. Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman, fight the darkness of Dol Guldur to free Gandalf. The dwarves finally have their home, but everyone who has heard of their quest seeks to lay claim to the treasure within Erebor. Thorin succumbs to Dragon sickness, which puts him at odds with the Men of Laketown, whom come to claim the aid he promised them. The Elves of Mirkwood seek their own treasures, lost within the mountain. Thorin refuses all, which leads to The Battle of the Five Armies: the Dwarves and their kin from the Iron Hills, the Elves of Mirkwood, the Men of Laketown, the Gundabad Orcs, and the Eagles.

The battle is quite a spectacle, with the dwarves, led by Dain Ironfoot (portrayed by Billy Connolly, which really cracked me up) prepared to fight against the allied men and elves, until the arrival of the overwhelming forces of the Orcs. After the horror of war, with the expected accompanying deaths, Bilbo finally prepares to return home, a changed hobbit. I was quite curious to see if Peter Jackson would include Bilbo having to evict Lobelia Sackville-Baggins from his home when he arrived, and was quite glad that he did.

The credits begin with a song written and performed by Billy Boyd (Peregrine Took in LOTR), called "The Last Goodbye". It's enough to make you cry all over again.

And so, at last we have come to the end of the tale. I must say, I'm rather sorry that the journey has ended. I love the Hobbit films and the Lord of the Rings films. But at least now I can watch all six in order. (It's going to be a long weekend!) I'll leave you with Billy Boyd's video of "The Last Goodbye".


Oh, dear, it's going to make me cry again. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment