Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Pop Vinyl


I've been a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for years. I started watching Buffy part way through season 2 when my cousin introduced me to it when I stayed with her during a Disneyland trip. By the time I got home,  I was hooked. I love the ridiculousness of a blonde,  teenage,  cheerleader-type girl protecting the world from vampires and other demons.

There were many fantastic episodes during its seven year run. A few of my favorites are: "Fear Itself" where the fear demon everyone was terrified of was only 8 inches tall and not really scary; "Hush" which is almost entirely silent, yet very effectively creepy and features the uber scary Gentlemen; and "Once More With Feeling" the hilarious musical episode with songs by Joss Whedon. Overall, I loved the idea that personal inner demons could become real, making high school even more insufferable.

After a few seasons, Buffy collectibles were everywhere,  and I will admit, I have more than a few. I have most of the first five years of the magazine. I have the Buffy, Willow, and Angel Barbie-style dolls. I bought Chupa Chups suckers and Barqs rootbeer because of their Buffy labels. I even used the iron-on that came with the magazine, paired with a bit of hand embroidery to make a pillow, which I still use as part of my decor. And I probably shouldn't even mention the lithograph of Buffy and Angel that spent years hanging on my bedroom wall.  I also have all of the DVDs, which I have decided to rewatch from the beginning to celebrate the spooky fun of October. Yeah, I was addicted to Buffy (and later it's spin-off, Angel).

Recently, Funko released a set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer PopVinyls (for those of us who still don't have enough collectibles.) The collection includes Buffy Summers (holding Mr. Pointy), Angel,  Willow Rosenberg, Oz, two versions of my favorite evil vampire Spike (one in human features and one vamped out), and one of the Gentlemen (always creepy).

There is also a special Wishverse variant of Willow that is exclusive to Hot Topic. My sister and I have an ever-growing collection of PopVinyls, so I'm sure I'll be adding some of the Buffy characters soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment