Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

I saw Snow White and the Huntsman last night and I wasn't disappointed. I've been looking forward to this movie for months. It didn't have quite as much action as I was expecting, but it was appropriately dark without being gross and maintained a serious tone throughout the film. The beginning of the movie was a little slow, but you have to tell your back-story before you get to the good stuff. And I was right about the costumes, they were gorgeous!

This film was full of incredible actors. Charlize Theron was fantastic as the fanatical, beauty-mad Queen Ravenna. She is truly frightening in the lengths she'll go to remain the fairest in the land. Chris Hemsworth was a good choice for the Huntsman. He is pathetic and sympathetic by turns, but finds his strength as he aids Snow White. I wasn't sure what to expect from Kristin Stewart, but other than an inconsistent accent, she wasn't bad as the innocent Princess. Sam Claflin, who I'd only seen as the Priest in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, was the perfect choice for William, Snow White's childhood friend. The dwarves also featured several well-known actors, such as Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, and Bob Hoskins as the blind seer, Muir.

I had considered taking Bean to see Snow White and the Huntsman, despite its PG-13 rating, but I was glad that I didn't. This film is much darker and sadder than the old Disney film, and contained a few terror-filled moments in the Dark Forest full of bugs, snakes and monsters and one rather gross scene where the Queen was eating hearts. I wouldn't recommend this movie for kids under 13 or for those that are easily frightened. However, if you're a fan of dark fairy tales, this one is well worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment