Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Advent Calendars

Playmobil
One of my favorite Christmas traditions is the advent calendar. They come in all types, shapes and sizes. Some, such as the German ones, have doors with chocolates behind them. Some have instructions for activities for Christmas like the tree-shaped one from Family Fun. Some have toys (I love the Lego and Playmobil advent calendars, especially the Playmobil Woodland Santa Set.) Some are boxes, bags, or pockets that can be filled with small presents. Some have a marker that you move each day, like the one from the Disney Store. All help children pass the days while counting down to Christmas.


My favorite advent calendar has been a part of my family's Christmas traditions for as long as I can remember. Its a fabric panel with a house full of bears preparing for Christmas. At the bottom are instructions for moving a small stuffed bear as he seeks out Christmas. My Grandmother made the calendar many years ago. About 15 years ago, my mother, sister, and I embellished it with glittery snow and stars. My sister and I used to have the special job of moving the bear each morning. Every other day, it was my turn and I loved it! The only exception was December 20, my Mom's birthday. On that day, she got to move the bear. (I recently searched for this advent calendar on Ebay so that I could have one in my own home only to discover that they sell for $350 or more!)

A few years ago, Bean and I got to spend all of December with my Mom. It was the first year that she got to see the bear. She loved him just as much as I always did. She would race to the calendar every morning and wait for Grandma or I to read the instructions so she could move the bear. It was wonderful seeing how much she enjoyed this family tradition.

Disney
This year, we have a few advent calendars. I have a paper bakery full of bearded elves with winter animals and Christmas toys behind the doors. My sister has the corduroy wall hanging with Mickey and a present you move from day to day. And Bean has a set of pennant pockets full of little presents (at least she will have a full set if I ever get around to finishing them!), and a new Playmobil Santa's Post Office set.

These calendars are a wonderful part of the holiday season. No child should be without one!

No comments:

Post a Comment